[Market-farming] QUESTION: High tunnels

Karen Sutherland ksutherland at hampshire.edu
Sun Nov 14 09:03:27 EST 2004

I've never used high tunnels and am wondering if they would be adaptable
to our rotations in this rainy windy tropical climate.  For example, if
we were growing peppers or tomatoes, we would need bird netting as
cover, but when it's broccoli or beans we might want the cover to be
plastic to control rain, and when it's lettuce or cilantro, maybe shade
cloth.  Is it nuts to think about the covers being so interchangeable?
Are there designs for high tunnels that would facilitate such
(2-3x/year) changes of covering (or perhaps the addition of a shade
cloth or plastic covering over a permanent bird netting)?  Is it
advisable for all thumbs (green though) folks to build by self or better
to buy kit?   Are high tunnels workable on sloped land or need the
surface be pretty flat?  Any advice, suggestions, experience, thoughts
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Best wishes to all,

Karen

*Karen Sutherland **
**Roots Farm**
Organic Produce : Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs*
Cockrane, Dominica
767-449-3038
rootsfarm at marpin.dm <mailto:rootsfarm at marpin.dm>