[Market-farming] Shallot info

MaggsMD at aol.com MaggsMD at aol.com
Thu Nov 4 09:35:49 EST 2004

In a message dated 11/2/2004 2:03:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
miranda at tagoresmith.com writes:
Margaret,

I'm assuming that you are an entry-level farmer, so I'll give you the
best advice you can get: whenever in doubt, ask people in your
horticultural zone/climatic region. They know your situation better than
people who live far away from you.

I know that at least one member of this listserve farms in your
region--Allan Balliet. Why don't you check with him?

Miranda
Thanks for the advice.  I worked for Allan for 2 seasons and never learned
anything about growing shallots so it didn't occur to me to ask him now.  I have
asked a couple local farmers who do grow shallots and have gotten different
stories about how they grow them.  I believe one farmer plants them in the
spring and the other farmer plants them in the fall and doesn't mulch them.  I
just assumed this list could be a way to learn other opinions on techniques for
growing shallots.  There doesn't seem to be as much information on them as
garlic, for example.

Thanks anyway,
Margaret
Knoxville, MD