[Market-farming] garlic & shallots

herbthyme at simcon.net herbthyme at simcon.net
Tue Nov 2 15:57:44 EST 2004

Margret, I live here in Northeast Ohio, Zone 5. And I just got my garlic and shallots in a week or so ago. Middle of October is when, and I too have read Ron's book. However, I buy my seeds from Bobba-Mike's here in Orville Ohio, and he recommends that I mulch the shallots heavily for this area. I have never grown shallots before so I guess we will see next spring. I have read both things so I wonder... As far as harvesting them, I think they are like garlic, 40% brown on the tips. I also added chicken poo to the rows as I did for the garlic. Hope that was ok too!

Courtney
Herb Thyme
Middlefield, Oh

Margaret, I forgot to also add that I was told to plant them until the tip is just covered and then mulch them heavily.  I also planted them 6" - 8" apart and the rows were 16" apart.

Courtney
Herb Thyme
Middlefield, Oh