[Market-farming] HELP with Sunberry aka Wonderberry??

tonitime at juno.com tonitime at juno.com
Thu Jul 22 14:41:22 EDT 2004

Hi Growing Folk!
     I need some small help.  My experimental variety of the year, is
Solanum Burbankii - Sunberry or Wonderberry.  If i had known how
prolifically these fruited, i'd have planted just a few plants!  I have
so many of these, that i really need to learn what good uses to make of
them.  The internet only comes up with using them cooked and sweetened as
a pie filling.  They taste like a cross between tomatoes, berries, and
watermelon!  They are very easy to pick, as they grow in clusters that
ripen pretty much at the same time.
    I just picked my first small bucket full and am going to experiment
making a simple pie with Apple Pie spices.  Next, i will try to invent a
smoky salsa with chipotles and mild peppers - perhaps using some of the
Green Zebra Tomato crop for color IF these black berries do not stain the
other ingredients!
   Have any of you experience with these unusual things?  I would love to
hear what you have done with them.  I searched for a few internet hours
and came up fairly emptyhanded of ideas/recipes.
HELP!
Thanks,
Toni in "Mater"-land, Kentucky