[Market-farming] composting questions

Robin Follette marketfarmer at thymeforewe.com
Thu Jul 22 12:32:01 EDT 2004

> > There should be no odor at any time, start or finish.
>
> Hmmm.  I'm not sure I can agree with this.  Horse manure has a pretty
> distict odor, so making a compost pile that's mostly horse manure it'll
> undoubtedly have that smell.

It should have no *bad* odor.

Mine smells awful.  I'm using an Earth Machine my mother-in-law (bless her heart) bought for me.  I filled it with cabbage and cauliflower plants and browns from the house yesterday.  It needs some browns mixed in this afternoon but it's doing well.  It's the first time I've used a composter like this.  I think I'm going to want at least one more.  It won't keep up with all that we have to compost but it's nice to have a quick fix for a poor spot ready in a few weeks.

Robin Follette
   minding my peas and cukes at
Thyme For Ewe Farm
www.thymeforewe.com