[Market-farming] sorghum-sudan grass as cover crop

herbthyme at simcon.net herbthyme at simcon.net
Thu Jul 22 09:47:58 EDT 2004

Sudangrass is your best choice, seed it by August first and it will grow 6 feet tall by killing frost.

My question about all this is, in August, our crops here in Northeast Ohio (zone 5) are just booming then, and we are not able to get in to plant any ground cover until the end of October.  I must have missed something in a previous email on this???  We plant a winter rye sometime in Ocotber that gets tilled in the following spring.  Is winter rye a good cover crop to grow?  Does that hold a good amount of organic matter?

Courtney
Herb Thyme
Middlefield, Oh