[Market-farming] composting questions

Tradingpost tradingpost at gilanet.com
Wed Jul 21 23:55:05 EDT 2004

Flies are a sign of a problem pile. Whatever is drawing them should be covered with a thin layer of soil and the pile should not be kept too wet. There should be no odor at any time, start or finish. The pile should have a variety of compostable materials and have some soil interspersed with the materials. Green vegetation needs to be in it to heat it up as it breaks down, and the heat is good for reducing pathogens. The best reference IMHO is still Rodale's big book Compost.

paul at largocreekfarms.com
http://medicinehill.net