[Market-farming] Japanese Beetles and Edemame

Leigh Hauter lh at pressroom.com
Wed Jul 21 20:17:24 EDT 2004

Allan,

We seem to be having a major run of Japanese beetles in the
Mid-Atlantic region this year.

I had them absolutely trying to wipe out my basil.  I've never seen
anything like it in the past decade.

What I have done, and it is working, is surround the fields in
Japanese beetle traps.  The beetles seem to be migrating from the
basil to the traps.  The damage is way down.

Of course I have been emptying full traps almost daily.  I collected
about 30 pounds of beetles from the traps today alone.