[Market-farming] does rapeseed winterkill?

robert schuler sunnfarm at bellatlantic.net
Mon Jul 19 18:09:43 EDT 2004

Bob, oats make a good cover and  will winterkill in central Jersey but
it will be hard to establish in hot weather, oats is often used as a
nurse crop for alfalfa, where winter kill is needed to establish the
legume. Rape may not winterkill and since its in the cole crop family it
will mess up your rotation if you want to plant cabbage etc.
Buckwheat is a waste of money, lots of watery stems and little organic
matter.
Sudangrass is your best choice, seed it by August first and it will grow
6 feet tall by killing frost. Let it lay on soil and it will break down
easily in the spring. Soil that over wintered with sudangrass tills up
extra smooth and mellow in the spring...Bob
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.