[Market-farming] does rapeseed winterkill?

Janet Bachmann janetb at ncat.org
Mon Jul 19 13:47:53 EDT 2004

If you can still get seed for sorghum-Sudangrass, often sold in seed
stores for summer grazing or hay, you might want to try it.
 Sorghum-Sudangrass is a fast growing hybrid that produces a tremendous
amount of biomass, and is killed by frost.  I like to leave it on top of
the soil as a mulch rather than turning it under, so don't know how
tilling with your equipment will work.  Spring oats planted in the fall
can be used in the same way, but may or may not winter kill in zone 6.