[Market-farming] Re: Sub-irrigation

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Sun Jul 18 18:34:19 EDT 2004

On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 01:58:47PM -0700, sora at coldreams.com wrote:
> >>  Does anyone have
> > experience with buried t-tape? I hear it will work, but it just seems
> > so unlikely that it really would!! Please share your experience.

I didn't see this original post.

I use T-tape fairly extensively, all of it buried.  I recommend using
the heaviest, 15mil, to better resist insects.  I try to get about two
years out of it; that's four or more crops.  An automatic drain valve
at the end of each run is a Good Thing (tm).

> I tried buried t-tape several years ago and it didn't hold up real well.
> Currently I'm using the black soaker hoses made of recyled tires.  They
> work really well and have held up beautifully for 4 years now.  Most of
> mine are above ground but I also have it in my potatos where I bury it
> when the spuds get hilled.  Works like a charm.

What is the cost of the soaker hose?  T-tape is $.01-$.02 a foot.
What run length is possible with the soaker hose?  I need about 600'.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
Good Health: the slowest way to die