[Market-farming] Shade cloth for lettuce

Pat Meadows pat at meadows.pair.com
Sun Jul 18 14:43:34 EDT 2004

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 07:48:43 -0500, you wrote:

>I noticed in the Farmtek catalog that they have a knitted shade cloth in
>either black or white that can be cut without raveling.  I was wondering
>about trying it over hoops covering lettuce beds for summer growing.  I have
>recently seeded more lettuce and kept the soil cool(er) during germination
>with rolls of burlap - but now that the lettuce is up I'd like to keep it
>out of the heat as much as possible.  And I hate the regular shade cloth
>because of the raveling it does.  Is there such as thing as a remay-type
>shade?

I don't know how much of it you would need, or if this would
help you...

I have been using 'landscaping fabric' bought (in error) at
the local garden center.  This is a thin black fabric that
looks very much like non-woven interfacing (as used in
sewing clothing).  I bought it by mistake, thinking it was
something else.

It doesn't ravel, and it seems to work nicely as shade
cloth.

Pat
--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY