[Market-farming] Shade cloth for lettuce

Joan Vibert joan at windwalker-farm.com
Sun Jul 18 08:48:43 EDT 2004

I noticed in the Farmtek catalog that they have a knitted shade cloth in
either black or white that can be cut without raveling.  I was wondering
about trying it over hoops covering lettuce beds for summer growing.  I have
recently seeded more lettuce and kept the soil cool(er) during germination
with rolls of burlap - but now that the lettuce is up I'd like to keep it
out of the heat as much as possible.  And I hate the regular shade cloth
because of the raveling it does.  Is there such as thing as a remay-type
shade?

Joan
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, Kansas