[Market-farming] Foundations

Allan Balliett igg at igg.com
Fri Jul 16 15:34:58 EDT 2004

Here's one for anyone who has basic building knowledge:

I finally got the sand filters for our irrigations system.
Unfortunately, when filled with media (sand), the filters weigh about
600lbs each and there are TWO of them. The area I need to install
them in is a little damp. WIthin a day of installing them, they
started to sink. Sinking would not be bad, but they are cocking and,
with the linkages, etc, tipping IS bad.

I need to make a gravel foundation to set them on. The question: how
deep does such a foundation need to be? 6inches? 4 ft? This filter
will NOT be used in freezing weather, so I don't think frost line
plays into this, just trying to get stability in rather loose ground.

Thanks -Allan