[Market-farming] whiteflies on tomatoes

robert schuler sunnfarm at bellatlantic.net
Fri Jul 16 13:12:32 EDT 2004

White flies on field grown tomatoes in NJ are rare. Using pyrethrum will
control white flies but will worsen the problem in the long run, because
pyrethrum kills all your beneficial insects that eat whiteflys. Without
the beneficials you are setting yourself up for a serious thrip and
spider mite infestation that will be far worse then whitefly. We already
have a problem with them in the southern end of the state.
Try a different chemistry that protects beneficial I prefer to use
Spintor or the organic version called Entrust alternated with Azatin
which is a neem product. This combination works well on tomatoes and
both are many times less toxic than pyrethrum.
Bob
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.