[Market-farming] tomatoes

Pat Meadows pat at meadows.pair.com
Fri Jul 16 11:48:11 EDT 2004

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 08:42:29 -0600, you wrote:

>Pat,
>
>I found your post interesting.  I have grown tomatoes up to six feet high
>under a plastic tent.  (Six poles, plastic stapled around and over top.)
>When they began to flower, I cut off a strip at both ends for the insects to
>pollinate my plants.  When the tomatoes were getting large, I took off the
>top to allow them to get plenty of sun to ripen.  When frost threatened, I
>covered the plants.

Incidentally, you don't need to worry about insects for
pollination.  Tomatoes are largely self-fertile:  i.e., each
blossom fertilizes itself.

Indoor tomatoes only need to be jiggled a bit when in
blossom (to simulate breezes) for pollination.

>This year I have many tomatoes in my two hoophouses (first year).  I am
>worried they won't ripen without removing some of the plastic sheeting.  I
>used 4 or 6 mil plastic on the greenhouses. There are open window on each.

I bet they will ripen without removing the plastic.  I have
successfully grown ripe tomatoes indoors, in winter, in my
large bay window.  They were mini-tomatoes, but still
tomatoes.  They ripened fine.

I had fluorescents lights hanging over them, to supplement
the short days of winter (and for days without sunshine).

>Some of the best tomatoes I grew were next to my house.  But I only tasted
>one!  Then I needed a place to park a calf for a few weeks.  Into the yard
>went the calf, and into the calf stomach went my "almost ripe" tomatoes.
>Yup. Steers eat tomatoes-ripe or green.  He left them alone for the first
>week, so I thought he could be trusted not to eat the tomatoes and flowers.

Oh dear.  :(

>60-65 days is our growing season.
>
>I am really excited to try Glacier tomatoes next year.

With that short of a growing season, I think they'd be very
good for your location.

There are other tomatoes - varieties from Siberia, mostly -
that will ripen in a similarly short period of time.  I know
a lot of people in my area grow Stupice.

I think maybe the most different varieties of tomato seeds
are found at:

  http://www.tomatogrowers.com

They are a useful supplier, because they list their tomatoes
in various categories, including 'early', 'mid-season', etc.
They have a lot of really early tomatoes.

Pat
--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
http://www.thehungersite.com/