[Market-farming] tomatoes

mtlivestock crublee at libby.org
Fri Jul 16 10:42:29 EDT 2004

Pat,

I found your post interesting.  I have grown tomatoes up to six feet high
under a plastic tent.  (Six poles, plastic stapled around and over top.)
When they began to flower, I cut off a strip at both ends for the insects to
pollinate my plants.  When the tomatoes were getting large, I took off the
top to allow them to get plenty of sun to ripen.  When frost threatened, I
covered the plants.

This year I have many tomatoes in my two hoophouses (first year).  I am
worried they won't ripen without removing some of the plastic sheeting.  I
used 4 or 6 mil plastic on the greenhouses. There are open window on each.

Some of the best tomatoes I grew were next to my house.  But I only tasted
one!  Then I needed a place to park a calf for a few weeks.  Into the yard
went the calf, and into the calf stomach went my "almost ripe" tomatoes.
Yup. Steers eat tomatoes-ripe or green.  He left them alone for the first
week, so I thought he could be trusted not to eat the tomatoes and flowers.

60-65 days is our growing season.

I am really excited to try Glacier tomatoes next year.

Christina