[Market-farming] Re: organic squash bug control

Allan Balliett igg at igg.com
Fri Jul 16 07:54:26 EDT 2004

>I second the idea of the radish companion planting. Two years ago,
>the last time I grew pumpkins and squashes, my large japanese
>radishes were nearby and attracked the attention of the pests,
>including also flea beatles, leaving far fewer on the squash.

I must be blessed: I've never had flea beetles on my squash nor my
cucumbers!! (Shouldn't have read that mail!!)

I wanted to ask: are squash borers REALLY drawn to radishes? Why in
the world would they go to a radish? Do others have good experience
with using radish as a trap crop for borers?

Thanks -Allan