[Market-farming] whiteflies on tomatoes

bob111higgins at comcast.net bob111higgins at comcast.net
Thu Jul 15 19:42:23 EDT 2004

Hi All:
I now have a problem for the second time this season with serious whitefly populations on my tomatoes -- all varieties. First time I used pyola and water spray (pyola is canola oil with pyrethrin). I caught it earlier this time, perhaps the next generation from the first infestation. It's been hard to spray at the proper intervals because of all the rain. Will use pyola again.
But: in many years of home gardening, now market, I've never had whitefly problems. I associate them with greenhouse production, not field. Any guesses as to why? Is it the wet spells we've had in NJ? Soil deficiencies?
Also, any other suggestions for control besides the oil/pyrethrin combo? Or for a spraying regimen? Thanks.
Bob, Red Brick Farm, Hopewell