[Market-farming] Re: Crane Melons

Roger Weeks rjweeks70 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 14 19:47:51 EDT 2004

I live in Sonoma County, which is the home of the Crane Melon.
It was adapted by Mr. Crane from melons that came with chinese
immigrants to the west coast.  It's a muskmelon with a semi-smooth skin
and wonderful green strips and mottling on the outside, turning yellow
as the fruit ripens.

It isn't really well known outside of northern California, and in fact I
had never even seen one when I lived in other parts of the bay area,
until I moved to Sonoma County.

We've grown them for two years now.  This year we're dry farming some of
them, and hope to get some really sweet melons.

Roger Weeks
Sebastopol CA