[Market-farming] Glacier tomato

Pat Meadows pat at meadows.pair.com
Wed Jul 14 09:07:12 EDT 2004

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 19:49:39 +0000, you wrote:

>Hi All:
>I am trialing about 15 varieties of tomatoes this year, my first year of really trying to sell anything. Planted them quite late due to delays in getting my fence together. Anyway, I just had my first Glacier tomato last week, from Fedco, rated at 56 days -- took me 62. Small, egg-sized, but a very good flavor for an early bird. Has anyone else tried them? Am waiting now on Moskovich.

Yes, I'm growing them this year.  I like the tomatoes, and
we've had quite a few of them.

Time it took:

Started seeds - 3/3
First germination - 3/10
Transplanted to 6" pots - 3/21
Transplanted to garden (protected by WalloWaters) -  4/19
Removed WalloWaters and caged the plants - sometime in May
(I forgot to record the date)
First ripe tomato - 6/8

I'm saving seeds from the plant that had the first ripe
tomatoes, as it was at least a week earlier than the other
Glaciers.  It was well ahead of the others at every stage of
development.  I named it SuperTomato.  <g>  First tomato
plant that I've ever named.

Our last killing frost this year was June 4.  So I had the
first ripe tomato four days after the last killing frost.
:)  That's impressive.

SuperTomato (and its unnamed pal) are still producing lots
of tomatoes for us.

Pat

--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY