[Market-farming] French Melons

Lucy Goodman goodows at infinet.com
Tue Jul 13 05:19:19 EDT 2004

We grew Savor Charentais melon in the
hoophouse last fall. No trellising and I
believe spacing was at 24". We used drip
irrigation hooked to a 250 gallon tank that
received rain water from our roof. It was wet
enough last fall that we did not have to use
well water.

Because the melons were in a hoophouse we had
to hand pollinate. This meant going in at
least once a day, usually in the mid to late
morning when the pollen is strong and the
female flowers are open fully. Without good
hand pollination you will get few to no melons.

because we had this isolated hand pollinated
melon patch we saved seed from the F1 hybrid
savor. Planted the seeds this spring in
another hoophouse and now we have at least 3
different melons growing. There is a smooth
skinned deeply ribbed melon. a netted skinned
ribbed melon and a netted skinned ribless
melon. haven't eaten any yet, though sold 3
this past Saturday.

We were expecting the netted skinned melons
along with the charentais type in these seeds
as the seed we got from Johnny's last year
was 1/2 smooth skinned, ribbed and 1/2 netted
skinned no ribs (both excellent eating,
tasted the same). now we have a 3rd type
expressing itself.

Lucy Goodman
New Paris, OH