[Market-farming] Late melon planting

Lucy Goodman goodows at infinet.com
Mon Jul 12 11:20:46 EDT 2004

Last fall we filled a small hoophouse with
French type melons with the hopes of having
them the last couple of weeks of market (end
of October). because the melons were planted
early to mid august they were not ready until
the 1st or second week in November.

We had the best melons I have ever eaten from
November until the end of December. A shame
we missed the farmers' market.

This year we are planting 3 weeks earlier,
today as a matter of fact, so we will have
some ready for the last few weeks of FM season.

we have tried the late melon thing using just
row cover (agripro 30 and 50 wgts-don't use
anything less than a 30 wgt for this project)
and have had pretty poor success getting
melons in October. If it freezes there is
usually not enough protection to save the
melons. In a hoophouse we use heavy row cover
along with 5 gallon buckets of water for heat
sinks for frosty nights and even than we have
gotten some frost damage but far less than
with row covers and plastic on small hoops.

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH