[Market-farming] RE: Attracting worms

mtlivestock crublee at libby.org
Fri Jul 9 10:02:40 EDT 2004

<<<<Don't know. Do compost piles?>>>>

A compost pile is quite different IMHO.  The internal heat in a pile would
be higher that what is in a five gallon bucket.  Also the bucket is not
going to have the same ventilation.  By the time it is buried deep enough to
work, it may not make a suitable container.  A large tub or barrel make
better sense.  What does others on the list think?  I love the idea of
pulling up a few buckets or barrels at the end of the season, spread with
rake, and till.

I conclude the cover would be necessary to keep the bugs and disease down.
I would think I would need to water occasionally.  I also conclude this
would not be a replacement of my compost system.

Have you tried this Marty?  I am expanding our garden next year (triple).  I
am thinking I should start to gather buckets now.  It seems to be a
work-able solution.  It would put the compost right back in the garden where
it is intended to go without that round trip to the compost piles.

Our farm's mission is to reduce all outside resources and inputs including
labor.  This would fit in the plan.

Christina