[Market-farming] Buying Manure or Attracting Worms

Marty Kraft martyk at allspecies.org
Thu Jul 8 08:19:48 EDT 2004

We have 32X4 foot raised beds. I am thinking about cutting the bottoms out
of 5 gallon paint containers, digging a hole, and placing them in the beds
at yet undetermined spacing. I will put clean food waste and leaves etc. in
each one and put on the lids. The worms should find and eat the material
leaving castings and tunnels behind. We can adjust the bucket¹s positions
from time to time.

Worms, cows, horses and rabbits eat vegetables. Can worms alone maintain the
animal part of the nitrogen and or other soil cycles necessary to sustain
healthy soils? Has anyone else tried this idea?

Marty Kraft