[Market-farming] Another Garlic Question

Dcimmarr at aol.com Dcimmarr at aol.com
Wed Jul 7 17:22:54 EDT 2004

What you are describing is known as Garlic Rounds.  It is a natural occuring
phenomenon.  For 20 out of 500, I'd say that is about right as to what you
would expect to see for devolpment.  As garlic goes through the development
underground from a clove to a fully cloved bulb, it first swells into a large round
undivided ball with a lot of wrappers that look to be like one single, solid
ball of garlic. When it begins to grow, it begins to divide and sub-divide
into as many cloves as it can before the heat causes it to lose its leaves. If
the temperature increases before the garlic has time to divide, then the result
is a large undivided round.

Just curious what you do with the undivided rounds? These can be replanted in
the fall and will divide the following spring into fairly sizable bulbs. They
can also be sold as rounds as there is a market for them if you present them
as the unique product that they are.

Each year at harvest, we also get some garlic rounds from the total planted.
There isnt anything that you can do different  to prevent this. It seems some
cloves will just be more sensitive to enviromental conditions than others and
give you a different product.

Denise

Denise Cimmarrusti
University Of Illinois Extension