[Market-farming] Buying Manure

Allan Balliett igg at igg.com
Wed Jul 7 06:05:20 EDT 2004

Friends  -

Here's a moral quandary I'd appreciate a peer group opinion on.

For the past year, off and on (but by arrangement), I've been picking
up a hand shoveled load of rabbit manure from a local rabbit breeder.
I use it as worm food and for composting.

This past month an article appeared in the local paper about our CSA.
Some people, for reasons I can't deduce from reading the article
myself, have deduced that we are getting rich growing organic
vegetables.

Apparently the rabbit farmers (a school teaching couple) arrived at
that conclusion. After complimenting the article, when I called to
make a manure pickup appointment they told me that they'd like me to
start making a financial contribution to their farm whenever I pick
up manure.

I remember hearing John Jeavons talk about the day that organic
farmers could no longer rely on manure as an input because it would
be too expensive. I remember deciding at that time to never pay for
manure, to do nothing to hasten the unaffordability of manure.

What about you? (Remember: this doesn't involve loading or hauling by
the rabbit breeder. I shovel the manure from right where he'd put it
if I wasn't taking it.) Would you pay for manure? Do you pay for
manure now?

Oh, and if you were me and decided to give in for the 'convenience
factor,' what would you expect a fair 'contribution' for rabbit
manure would be?

Thanks

-Allan Balliett