[Market-farming] Banana Pepper Jelly

Adriana gutierrez-lagatta at charter.net
Tue Jul 6 18:59:21 EDT 2004

> Adriana
>      I would be very interested in the recipe....plus makeing pickles or
jelly
> increases the window of opertunity to sell something that has a short
shelf life
> in its fresh form best to work both ends of the market : )

 Mark,
Here's the recipe - enjoy!

MRS. SMITH'S BANANA PEPPER JELLY

6 large sweet banana peppers*

2 large hot banana peppers*

* (Be sure to get 1-2 red or orange peppers in the batch, this will give the
jelly a beautiful blush shade.    It doesn't matter if it is the sweet or
the hot ones.)

1 ½ cups apple cider vinegar

5 cups sugar

1 package Certo (1/2 box)

  1.. Sterilize 6 pint jars.
  2.. Cut the peppers in half and remove the seeds and the veins. Chop into
large chunks.
  3.. Put all of the peppers and ¾ cup vinegar in the blender and blend
until it is finely chopped (still with some small chunks in it, not pureed).
  4.. Pour the pepper-vinegar mixture into a pot and bring to a boil. Cook
for 2-3 minutes until it starts to look smooth.
  5.. Add the remaining ¾ cup vinegar and all of the sugar. Stir and bring
it to a rolling boil for 1 minute.
  6.. Add 1 package certo, bring back to a rolling boil for 1 minute.
  7.. Remove from heat, skim off any foam and allow the mixture to sit for 5
minutes.
  8.. Fill and seal canning jars according to manufacturer's directions.
(With thanks to Becky Smith of Birmingham, Alabama for sharing her family
recipe.)