[Market-farming] Increasing flower prices and sales

Leigh Hauter lh at pressroom.com
Mon Jul 5 10:06:42 EDT 2004

we have a flower share.  This year we have sold more than ever before
(with the  massive increase in government -military- spending under
Bush, times are good for many in DC) Half a dozen years ago we sold
these as a bouquet each week.  However we now offer it as 25 stems a
week.  We put out the flowers for the day and have a board with the
number of each type they should take.
today it will be 5 marigolds, 4 black eyed susans, 4 zinnias, 4
calendula, 4 strawflowers and 4 of a small dahlia.

People like making their own bouquets  better than they like picking
out one that I made.

so, the suggestion here for market farmers is to sell by the stem.  I
know there is a certain amount of waste associated  with the way I'm
doing it, I pick atleast 10% more than I have shares for because I
expect a certain percent of the flowers to get mauled in the handling.