[Market-farming] chilling flowers off grid

sora at coldreams.com sora at coldreams.com
Sun Jul 4 22:43:01 EDT 2004

> We are off-the-grid, so we do not have a fridge to put the flowers
> in. We do cut 'before' sunrise and keep the flowers shaded before - -
> and during - - delivery. Tips in this regard will be appreciated,
> also.
>
> Thanks again -Allan
> I'm off-grid also and have had sucess with coolers.  I have a propane
refirgerator with a small freezer which I keep mostly full of 1/2 gallon
plastic milk jugs for ice that I use in coolers for the market and CSAs.
Flowers I pick the evening before and place directly into buckets of warm
water, sugar and a few drops of bleach.  I let them sit for 1/2 hour, then
make up bouquets which each go into their container of solution.  Then
into the coolers with the an ice jug wrapped in a towel.  I swap jugs in
the morning and the flowers are chilled and ready for the ride into town.