[Market-farming] Re: Care Sheet for Flower Shares?

Roger Weeks rjweeks70 at comcast.net
Sat Jul 3 17:28:13 EDT 2004

Hi Allan -

I'm assuming you do this already, but if you can prechill the flowers in
a fridge before you send them out, that will greatly increase their vase
life.

Things we tell our flower customers:

Re-cut the flowers when you get home.
Cut at least 1/2" or more from the stems.
Cut at a 45 degree angle.  It allows more surface area of the stem to
take in water.
Put a teaspoon of granulated sugar in some lukewarm water, and stir to
combine.  Add a few drops of white vinegar.  Stir vigorously.
Let the water sit for 10 minutes before adding the flowers.
Change the water daily, remaking the sugar/vinegar solution each time.
The thicker the stems of the flowers, the more they benefit from the
feeding with sugar.
If your house is warm, and the flowers look droopy, give them a spray
with a fine water mister.  It should help perk them back up.

I've seen other recommendations to add a drop or two of bleach to the
water, but in our experience there are some flowers that just won't take
any amount of extra chlorine in the water.  Papery flowers like poppies
and some other cut flowers just wilt and die with bleach water.

Roger Weeks
Weeks Gardens
Sebastopol, CA