[Market-farming] size

Lucy Goodman goodows at infinet.com
Sat Jul 3 14:50:30 EDT 2004

>>Howdy Folks
>>    I was just wondering what you all get for banana peppers I ahve an
>>over abundance in the garden right now and havet stared doing
>>farmersmaket  yet (this year is to see what I can grow well in the new
>>garden area and plan for nect year) but I can sell excess from the test
>>garden at the local organic coop where we order bulk every 4 weeks.
>>However I dont have any idea what I should be charging for peppers
>>haveing never sold them before. I ahve lots of sweet bananas at the
>>moment a few green bells and later will have a lot of cayannes. Any
>>suggestions on priceing and selling ( by pound,bunch each ect.) would be
>>greatly appreciated.
>>
>>Mark in KY

the new farm GROPX is a great place to check
out what people are cxharging in your area.
many Ky Farmers' markets are listed. go to
http://www.newfarm.org than click on the link
to the OPX and on that page you will find a
link to the GROPX.

I get 75¢ for a green pepper (if it is
smallish than 50¢ ea) and between $1 and
$1.50 for a ripe pepper. I don't grow banana
peppers any more, they never sold well for
me, even back when people canned. I'd sell
them for 3 or 4 for a dollar. Cayennes I put
10 in a  pint box and sell for a buck or 25¢
ea, or you can make ristras or 20 or so and
sell for $5.

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH