[Market-farming] Tools for small farmers

Lucy Goodman goodows at infinet.com
Sat Jul 3 05:33:16 EDT 2004

I knew a guy who made a bicycle powered plow.
It worked well in sand but in any other soil
type it took far longer to use the bike
implement than double digging. I think he
could do a 50' x 8' bed in clay loam soils in
about 6 hours. he based it on a design he got
from a guy in N mex.

I am not saying that bike powered tools could
not be done but the things I have seen were
interesting but not practical, oh except for
the flour mill that could put out something
like a pound an for an hour of peddling. That
is not to say that with R&D bike power tools
could not be way useful.

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt
http://www.boulderbelt.com