[Market-farming] Conversion factors for weight of compost

russandrosie russandrosie at comcast.net
Thu Jul 1 17:52:01 EDT 2004

Hey Matt,
Just a thought on the "compost" you get from the county.  My guess that the
high wood chip content is causing your seedlings to be slow.  As you know,
wood chips tie up nitrogen and the seedlings don't have large enough root
systems to reach beneath the mulch.
I use a similar mulch on my beds for weed suppression, but I push the mulch
aside and plant into the soil.
Matt wrote:
The plants in the compost only are growing well, but as seedlings they took
much longer to "turn on" and start growing.