[Market-farming] Garlic curing

Lucy Goodman goodows at infinet.com
Thu Jul 1 11:51:23 EDT 2004

keep the tops and roots on until cured than
cut off with anvil pruners (scissors will
give you blisters).

I hang mine to dry in several ways simplest
is to tie 10 garlics together with bailing
twine and hang with the heads up (how they
want to hang naturally) and hang each bundle
from a nail or rafters. i also have put them
on hammocks made out of  fencing and/or
chicken wire (these hammocks are mostly used
to dry onions) and finally we get two pieces
of bamboo or two metal rods lay one on the
ground, place garlic heads up than put the
other bar on and tie the two bars together
than hang the whole thing from the rafters.
on a 10' span you can usually get around 150
garlics hung.

cure until the greens are all brown and
crispy, about 4 to 6 weeks. oh, be sure to
knock as much mud/dirt off the roots before
curing. Dirt can lead to rot.

Lucy Goodman
New Paris, OH
http://www.boulderbelt.com