[Market-farming] Conversion factors for weight of compost

Steve Diver steved at ncat.org
Thu Jul 1 11:19:12 EDT 2004

A few years ago I came across a conversion of 1200 lbs per cu yd for
compost at 50% moisture.

But I just looked in "Field Guide to On-Farm Composting" (NRAES-114)
and it says that, depending on moisture and bulk density, compost ranges
from 700 lbs/cu yad to 1,400 lbs/cu yd.

It further says the preferred range is 800 lbs/cu yd to 1,000 lbs/cu yd.

For calculations, it uses a rule-of-thumb factor of 1,000 lbs/cu yd for
compost at 50% moisture.

Cubic yards per acre for various depths of application

Inches .............. Cubic yards per acre
1/4.................... 34

I'm curious to learn the typical rates of  compost that farmers
use -- e.g., Matt Cheselka, Bob Schuler, David Inglis -- on
vegetable ground, and if different rates of compost are applied
to light and heavy feeding crops.

Thanks,

Steve Diver
http://www.attra.ncat.org