[Market-farming] Wasabi Root

Cyndi Norman cyndi at tikvah.com
Sat Feb 28 14:57:20 EST 2004

I am having a discussion on another list about availablity of wasabi root.
The question is it possible to grow it in large amounts for processing (for
a non-food use)?  No substitutes are possible.

Someone claimed "wasabi is a very particular plant and does not reproduce
either easily or abundantly, wild sources have been exhausted in Japan for
years (decades?) and it is illegal to export the fresh root from Japan."

I thought this would be a good place to ask if it can be successfully
cultivated in large amounts.  If anyone here is actually growing it
commerically, that info would be great too.  How large is large? I'm not
sure but it would probably be several acres at least.

Thanks,
Cyndi

Petaluma, California           Zone 9 USDA; Zone 15 Sunset Western Garden Guide
Chemically sensitive/disabled - Organic Gardening only by choice and neccessity