[Market-farming] Shelly's and Wilie's websites

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Fri Feb 27 08:13:37 EST 2004

> Congratulations.This is great.I am planning on a website myself in the near future.How did you do it?I have no idea how one goes about creating their own website.Can you tell me a little about it?

The easiest and most common way is to get someone to "host" your site.
Many ISPs offer some free web space.  If you want your own "domain",
it will cost you $8-$30/year.  Or you can use your host's domain
without that charge.  Examples:
williesfarm.com
willieshost.com/williesfarm or williesfarm.willieshost.com
Hosting service is anywhere from free on up.  The host of
austinfarm.org is currently charging me about $100/year and the domain
registration is costing about $18/year.  A google on "web hosting" will
present you a bewildering array of hosting possibilities.

Once you have your webspace or domain or URL, you have to worry about
content.  Talking about this bassackwards, it is probably best to
maintain a local (on your computer) copy of your web page and upload it
via ftp to your host and then periodically upload changes.  To create
content, the most difficult but most enlightening way is to get a book
on html and create your html files with a text editor.  HTML can be
created numerous other ways using local helper programs.  Netscape
Communicator has a html editing module, though I haven't used it; there
are many others.  Also, I believe there are online services that will
create your content not on your own computer.

You can look at the text that makes up any webpage that you view with
your browser and use that text as a pattern in your own html files.
Using Mozilla, you right click on the page and then either "view
source" or "save as".  Your browser probably works similarly.

The very great advantage to having your own domain and maintaining a
local copy of your website is that it is then easy to change hosts
without having to change URLs.  I have had the need to change hosts
several times in the last few years.

If all the above seems like a chore rather than a challenge, you can
hire someone to do it for you.

--
Willie, ashamed that dixie chicks are from Austin