[Market-farming] Vinegar for herbicide

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Wed Feb 25 07:34:54 EST 2004

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 07:12:28AM -0500, Goodaim at aol.com wrote:
> Bradfield Natural Fertilizer in Springfield, Missouri carries an OMRI
> approved 20% Horticutural Vinegar with Yucca surfactant. We have used the product on
> Canda Thistle and Poison Ivy, and I believe it will kill most any weed;

It seems to me that vinegar should be a "burn down" or "contact"
herbicide rather than a "systemic" herbicide.  That is, it kills only
the portion of the target that it contacts and does not kill roots.  Am
I wrong?  If I am correct, it would not kill established weeds such as
poison ivy or bermuda.  Except through repeated applications.  Comments
on systemic action of vinegar solicited.

--
Willie, ashamed that dixie chicks are from Austin