[Market-farming] Iowa organic egg producers needed

Liz Pike liz at laughingbrookfarm.com
Thu Feb 19 10:31:06 EST 2004

"Due to an increased demand in brown organic eggs, Farmers Hen House, 1956
520th Street SW, Kalona, is inviting area farmers to a special meeting at
their location at 9:30 a.m. Feb. 26.

"There is a definite need for more farmers in this area to raise chickens
that produce organic eggs," owner Mark Miller said. "We could probably use
twice what we have now."

About 35 to 40 area farmers now supply Farmers Hen House with 45,000 to
50,000 brown organic eggs on a weekly basis. Other farmers with free-range
chickens supply another 20,000 dozen.

"We want to find out how many farmers in this area who want to produce
organic brown eggs," Miller stated. "We need 30 to 40 more producers. We
have farmers from Missouri, Minnesota and Wisconsin interested in supplying
us with eggs, but we would prefer to work with farmers in the Kalona and
Wellman area."

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=10988230&BRD=1140&PAG=461&dept_id=
151338&rfi=6

Liz Pike