[Market-farming] Greenhouse benching

robert schuler sunnfarm at bellatlantic.net
Wed Feb 18 13:18:04 EST 2004

I have built so far 150 benches each is 4 ft wide x 8 ft long. All are
made from untreated 2x3 fur lumber. There are four runs of 8 footers
with a 4 ft piece on each end. I pre drill holes before nailing with 10d
galvanized nails. All new benches will be fastened with long epoxy
treated screws. The top is covered with 1x2 14 gauge fence wire. My
benches are up to 10 years old and look good as new because they are
always under plastic. I use cement blocks for legs. I weigh 150 pounds
and can casually walk on top of the benches without worry.
A very cheap alternative to fence wire is galvanised plaster lath , it
comes in sheets 2ftx8ft and lasts forever....Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.