[Market-farming] Hours of light

adriana gutierrez-lagatta at charter.net
Tue Feb 17 06:47:02 EST 2004

Joan,
I suspect that even if you're using true high intensity hydroponic "grow
lights" that the intensity of natural sunlight will be so much higher that
the reduction in light hours will not be a problem.  If  you're worried you
could add supplemental lighting to the hoophouse for a couple of hours
before dawn and after sunset.

> Now I'm
> wondering what happens when the onions get moved into the hoophouse with
> about 11 hours of light daily.  Will this cause problems.  I'm growing the
> red Italian bottle onion and the little purplettes and I didn't see
anything
> in Johnny's about day-length on either of them.

Adriana