[Market-farming] Length of light

Joan Vibert joan at windwalker-farm.com
Sun Feb 15 08:52:47 EST 2004

We have 14 flats of onions in the basement growing area right now that I'd
like to move to the hoophouse in another week, assuming the weather
moderates a little, since I'll critically need the basement space.  These
are all under lights that I keep on for about 15 hours a day.  I'd always
heard that seedlings need around that amount of light daily.  Now I'm
wondering what happens when the onions get moved into the hoophouse with
about 11 hours of light daily.  Will this cause problems.  I'm growing the
red Italian bottle onion and the little purplettes and I didn't see anything
in Johnny's about day-length on either of them.

Of course, having written this, I really have no choice since I need the
room - I guess I just need to know if I should worry or not about them!!!

Joan
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, Kansas