[Market-farming] Staking tomatoes

Allan Balliett igg at igg.com
Sun Feb 8 15:00:54 EST 2004

Jerry- If I were in your shoes, as I'm going to do in my own shoes,
but in Montana this seems especially worthwhile, I'd look into a high
tunnel made from hardware store items. I think they are now calling
these 'field covers.' You can build one very reasonably and it will
give you much better temp control than row cover will AND you will
have the space to stake you tomatoes, as Chile Man suggested, when
they are young and not once they are loaded with tomatoes. As you
have noticed, it's just too late then - - the stems are 'set in their
ways' at that point and don't take well to lifting and tying. You can
make a tunnel that moves (ala Coleman) you can grow in the tunnel all
season (bye-bye 120 day growing season!) or you can take the tunnel
down and let the tomatoes stand out in the sunshine, so that picking
is easier.

Does this sound fair?

-Allan Balliett