[Market-farming] Ruth Stout style gardening

Alan Whitaker awhitaker at greenlynk.com
Thu Feb 5 23:01:38 EST 2004

Willie,

yes the Covington planter is for peas, beans, cotton, millet, sorghum, okra,
etc.
you might get a plate built for smaller seeded things like spinach, but if
your using a Planet Jr., your used to overplanting anyhow.  You could use
the smallest plate I suppose on the smallest spacing and make a go of it.
The setup I'm using is their tool bar model, high speed (plant at up to 6
MPH) large on 30" centers.  Being on a tool bar you could put them how ever
close you would want.  They are similar in the way they work.  A coulter
makes a furrow for the seed and press wheels cover.  I'm attempting to
modify mine with an additional set of coulters for the trash.  I paid around
$500 per row for this setup last March.  I use an antique Planet Jr.setup
for turnips, collards, kale, etc........  It's old, all metal and I can
rebuild it when needed.