[Market-farming] Re: tillers

Allan Balliett igg at igg.com
Tue Oct 28 21:31:12 EST 2003

>Thank you for sharing your experience.We are seriously looking at the
>BCS.The new 12hp model is very inviting but the price tag is somewhat of a
>deterrent.It is a very hi quality machine and the multiple attachments are
>very much what we need.At the moment we are working 1/2 an acre  and new to
>market gardening and not sure of the size to invest in.
>Neil

Neil - When I was in the process of buying a new tiller, I, too, was
enamored by the hi-end BCS line. I, too, was stopped by the pricing,
which is just too close to the price of a very good deal on an older
used tractor. I checked around with some experienced market farmers.
They were all using HARVESTER models, some of the were using 710s,
others 720s. I bought the 720. I cannot imagine any reason why  I
need more power or even the steering brakes or the locking
differential. I can imagine being handicapped by the extreme weight
of the professional models, however.

None of the above refers in the least to any attachments other than
tilling. I can well imagine that if you want a chipper/shredder, you
will be thinking of the 12hp

Just my 2cents.

_Allan