[Market-farming] Whole grains and small scale grain production

Art Petrzelka art at complum.com
Fri Oct 24 14:45:36 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 09:34, robert schuler wrote:
> Pat.  You will be pleased to know that the overwhelming majority of subsidies
> are going to small and medium sized farms. The reason you don't hear much about

Robert, I had to do some research because what you said didn't match
what I've been hearing all the time.

>From the USDA Web site, I couldn't find the information that you
referred to.

Fortunately, Google came to the rescue, and I got a page listing
subsidies per state, and percentage of farms getting subsidies. Note
that this percentage would not account for farms used mostly for
pasture, farms under 40 acres, or a number of other categories.
including my farm. My 287 acre farm is listed as Non-Ag on the NRCS soil
maps.
http://www.ewg.org/farm/subsidies/farms_by_state.php

Very few states show a majority of farmers receiving payments.

The chart on payment concentration was also very interesting. 5% of the
payment recipients got away with half the money.
http://www.ewg.org/farm/concentrationtable.php?fips=00000

I am in favor of doing away with farm subsidies entirely. It just makes
the rich richer, and the poor homeless and hungry.
--
Art Petrzelka
Amana, Iowa, USA