[Market-farming] Whole grains and small scale grain production

Pat Meadows pat at meadows.pair.com
Thu Oct 23 14:48:30 EDT 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 09:34:59 -0700, you wrote:

>I've been doing quite a bit of reading about people who try to take their
>own local food challenge.  Grains seems to be one of the hardest things to
>come by. I suspect the labor and processing makes this something that needs
>the economies of scale to make it worth a farmer's while.

They may need the economies of scale NOW - because of unfair
competition from large corporations subsidized by the
government.

But I don't think the economies of scale would be necessary
to make it worthwhile for a small to med-sized farm if we
had a more rational national policy on agriculture.

A rational policy on agriculture - IMHO - would encourage
small farms and stress local food self-reliance rather than
giving subsidies to giant factory farms.

Pat