[Market-farming] CSA definition was End of season?

Allan Balliett igg at igg.com
Wed Oct 22 09:31:38 EDT 2003

>In traditional CSAs, the total cost of farm operations, profit, farmer's
>salary, etc is projected and a price for a share determined.  In a
>subscription CSA, a farmer determines how much his market will bear, sets a
>price, and then gets as many shareholders as he thinks he can harvest for.
>The CSA usually isn't the only form of farm income, so a farm's
>costs/expenses/salaries/etc are spread out over the CSA AND other sales such
>as farmer's markets, roadside stand, restaurants, etc.

I'd just like to clarify that in the traditional CSA the shareholders
agree to pay a share price that does support the farm and farmer and
other economic activities are not engaged in, except those (like
raising a few beef or eggs) that augment the CSA.

The subscription CSA probably should be renamed because it is a
marketing method like any other so the 'community supported' part
becomes rather confused. "Subscription produce" is probably more
accurate.

Sadly, a new, highly commercial 'subscription produce' operation has
started up here in the Washington, DC area. You can get Chilean (and
whatnot) produce all through the year in a weekly box that is a
guaranteed wait and content. given the number of people who don't
look too closely at what they are buying or supporting, I can't help
but think this is going to hurt we DC-area CSA operators in the long
run.