[Market-farming] Re: Compost

CAVM at aol.com CAVM at aol.com
Mon Oct 20 08:21:59 EDT 2003

Ernie,

Composted materials can be expected to have a 30% to 40% reduction in volume.
 If you are vermicomposting (worms) you can expect about 50% reduction in
volume.

Composting is an aerobic chemical and bacteriological process requiring a
certain range of carbon and nitrogen with about 50% moisture.
  If you are using kitchen scraps, for example, you might add leaves, sawdust
or other carbon sources to the nitrogen material from the kitchen.

If properly assembled, a compost pile will not attract vermin and will not
have an offensive odor.  The easiest way to fight vermin and odor is again with
an application of sawdust or other carbon material on the top of the pile.  Be
sure to keep your moisture up enough to allow the process to do its work.
Too much moisture will exclude oxygen which will cause the pile to go anaerobic.
 This will tend to create odors since the bacteria which you will be
encouraging are very different from what you intended.

Neal Van Milligen
Kentucky Enrichment Inc.
cavm at aol.com